MMSMP | before & after

I really do like all of the makeovers that I’ve done and shared both here on the Milk Paint blog, and over on my own blog, at breida with a b.

Really.

Every single one.

But this one?

Well…

I really like it.

Really.

miss mustard seed milk paint TYPEWRITER breidawithab.com

I’m not sure what it is about vintage yardsticks that makes me love them so much. Do you know that feeling? When you see something that just…
pushes your buttons?

miss mustard seed milk paint TYPEWRITER breidawithab.com

Vintage yardsticks come in all different shapes and sizes and colors. They’re all 36″ long, but that’s just about all they have in common. This little table needed a new top – and yardsticks were the first thing that came to mind.

breidawithab.com 10 final .jpg

I have yet to figure out what the original purpose of this table was – I think it was some kind of phone table – but I do NOT understand the hole in the top.

miss mustard seed milk paint TYPEWRITER breidawithab.com

Anyway!

I was planning on painting this piece in MMSMP Tricycle but when I looked trough my collection of yardsticks and picked out the ones I would use….

I knew it had to be MMSMP Typewriter.

miss mustard seed milk paint TYPEWRITER breidawithab.com

The black paint and the black advertising text are perfect together. This was my first time using Typewriter and also my first time using MMSMP Bonding Agent. The bonding agent does change the consistency/texture of the paint as it goes on a little – but in a good way. I think you’ll like the way it smooths on.
Is it okay to use “smooth” as a verb?

miss mustard seed milk paint TYPEWRITER breidawithab.com

The original finish on this table was very dark to begin with and one coat of typewriter with bonding agent covered it completely. It took me sort of a loooong time to decide exactly how I would build the top of the table but the painting took almost no time at all.
I’m just in love with this transformation.

This piece is FOR SALE in my Etsy Store – for now!

I’m so glad I went with Typewriter on this piece. I’d say that red is my favorite color…but I’ve been hesitant to paint a piece in Tricycle so far. I just got a really ugly piece though…and I’m thinking it may be the perfect opportunity to try out Tricycle. Keep your eyes peeled!

Which color of MMSMP are you dying to try? Which have you tried so far??

-breida

19 thoughts on “MMSMP | before & after

1. Sharon Hankins

This is just beautiful! I love it. Typewriter is perfect colour for this. I’m wondering too, what this table was for. Looks like it had some type of machine screwed on top, then maybe the door opens up to empty something out from underneath the machine. Lovely piece.

1. breidag@breidawithab.com

well – actually there wasn’t anything screwed to the top – those are nails – from the last “replacement” top… I couldn’t get them out – so i had to cover them…thus, the yardsticks!
      -b.

2. marian

Yeah, I think a sewing machine was mounted on the top. Usually, the drawer fronts would tip down to hold bobbins or access the underside of the machine. That’s my guess!

1. Miss Mustard Seed

hmmm…that’s a mystery, then! I figured you would’ve known if it was a sewing machine cabinet. Maybe it was for a child? Sort of like an Easy Bake Oven, but a sewing machine! 🙂

3. Sharon @ Elizabeth & Co.

I agree, it’s a sewing machine cabinet. It would make a great bedside table with today’s higher mattresses. I love the new yard stick top!

1. breidag@breidawithab.com

hmmm…i’m pretty sure it’s not – those are just messy nail holes in the top and the table is only about 13″ across on the top. VERY lightweight…and there is no way you could sit at this thing with your knees under it!
      but who knows?!
      -b.

4. Susan Cecere

I love that piece, it does remind me a bit of the sewing machine cabinet,that I learned to sew on. It was my mother’s old Kenmore.
    Question,I hope this is not too ridiculous that I don’t know this. I am painting a small plant stand with.Eulalie’ s Sky,But want to finish the top in a walnut gel stain. What comes first painting the bottom and underside with milk paint and waxing it and then staining the top?
    Can you tell I am new at.this?
    Many Thanks.

1. breidag@breidawithab.com

Ha! Actually, Susan, I happen to be painting a dresser in Eulalie’s Sky and I’m ALSO planning on staining the top in a walnut stain! Technically, I think it would make more sense to finish your top first – and work from top to bottom. If you drip the stain onto the dresser body BEFORE you finish it – you can still sand it away (or wipe it off really quickly). If you drip onto the ALREADY FINISHED dresser body…you will have a bigger problem.
      THAT BEING SAID – I am doing the EXACT OPPOSITE!
      -b.
      (good luck with your piece!!)

5. Becky

Love thus too. In fact, I have a table sitting in my garage with a warped top that I’m thinking this might work for it. Love the color too. Great job!

1. breidag@breidawithab.com

Thanks, Danielle –
      yeah, once i’d picked out the yardsticks i was willing to cut up – i knew Typewriter was the right color for this job!
      Glad you like it, too.
      🙂
      -b.

6. Kristin

I have a table at home that looks exactly like yours and it still has the sewing machine attached to it. This is a old sewing table with the fold out cover and sewing machine removed.

1. breidag@breidawithab.com

Kristin! I would absolutely LOVE to see a picture of yours! Is it as small as this one? It’s only about 13″ wide. I really thought it was too small and delicate for a sewing machine!
      -breida
      you could send me a picture to:
      breidag@gmail.com