In my last post I told you all about how I painted a vintage metal rolling cart with milk paint. And that was originally going to be the extent of that project. I was simply trying to carry out a series of experiments to see how milk paint behaves on metal surfaces – and I knew that I had that cart out there in the barn
collecting dust and mouse droppings just waiting to be worked on.
Now. See that pile of pine boards sitting on top? Those gave me the idea to try and add some kind of wood work surface to the rolling cart – but there weren’t quite enough of them and they weren’t quite long enough. I started poking around in the “wood stash” and found the last of the salvaged boards from my kids’ swing set. When I put them together atop the cart – they looked like a perfect fit!
In order to turn this group of boards into a useful work surface I simply connected them with some pine slats on the back. I turned them upside down and used the width of the rolling art to determine how far apart to place the slats.
I spread wood glue on the backs of the slats and put them in place with my pneumatic stapler. I added a wood screw in each board for extra strength (after this photo). The wood work surface fits very snugly on the cart and yet is still removable.
The angled corners were already cut that way and that weird “x” pattern was totally unintentional. These boards were not from just one part of the swing set – they just happen to have these marks on them and that’s how it came out when I put them side by side. I posted this next photo on Instagram with a question about whether or not I should keep the “design” and work with it – or sand it off…and lose the gorgeous patina that make these boards so attractive in the first place.
Folks were pretty much in agreement that I should keep it…
I brought it into the house and spent a good deal of time working out this Union Jack design (I’ve wanted to do a Union Jack for a long time). I went on to pick out my colors…
That’s Artissimo, Trophy, and Ironstone. I planned a modified, muted, neutral sort of Union Jack…
Then…I changed my mind and decided to sand the weird “x” off and paint it the way I had originally envisioned. The Union Jack would have come out nicely – but it just didn’t have anything to do with this piece. I felt like it would have been out of place.
And here is what I ended up with.
I love the way it came out!
First of all, this thing is very utilitarian. This vintage cart rolls like a dream – so it can go anywhere. There is tons of storage underneath and the new, larger work top makes it that much more functional.
In addition to being really useful – it’s gorgeous!
The great patina was not entirely lost through my sanding and painting. You can still see knot holes and screw holes as well as some of the original weathered texture on the boards. That swing set did live in my back yard for 12 years…
I used the same colors that I’d planned for the Union Jack design – just a bit differently. I painted two of the four boards in Artissimo and one each in Ironstone and Trophy. After they were dry I did another layer of dry brushing with the other colors on top.
More close-ups of what you can do with texture and dry brushing…
(Trophy with Ironstone overlay)
SO – my experiments with MMS Milk Paint and metal continue – I’m sort of hooked. But – the wood is pretty awesome too!
The rolling cart/kitchen island will be for sale in the Etsy Shop soon – I haven’t quite decided which finish coat I will use on the wood.
Let me know what you think of this latest project! I love to hear from you!