Creating Chippy Vintage Doors

I found these pretty ornate wardrobe doors a couple of weeks ago at Ardingly Antiques Fair, as soon as I spotted  them I thought they would be perfect to hang on the wall, but first I would need to make them look chippy and old! What better way to create ‘the look’ than with Miss Mustard Seed’s Milk Paint – I chose the colour Ironstone, which is a true white, although I would need to make them look like they were painted years ago.
When using the white shades it’s always best to apply a coat of a medium shade of milk paint as a base coat, white paint always takes a lot of coats to cover a dark pre-finished wood like this, but if the white is applied on top of a darker colour coat of Milk Paint  it will only need one or two coats.  I wanted the effect to be chippy and old, so I used the colour ‘Trophy’ (no bonding) as my base coat as I wanted to have this peeping through the Ironstone in some places, this gorgeous steely grey colour is a perfect base coat for the look I wanted.

I applied two coats of ‘Trophy’ and then applied a little ‘Hemp Oil’ on a few random places to create a ‘resist’ for the ‘Ironstone’ milk paint which I applied straight away whilst the ‘Hemp Oil’ was still wet.
I applied 2 coats of ‘Ironstone’
After the 2nd coat of ‘Ironstone’ was dry I gently sanded with fine sandpaper and found all the places where I had applied the ‘Hemp Oil’ and rubbed any residue of the dried paint away – leaving the exposed coat of Trophy underneath.
If I get a build up of dried paint in the crevices I use a stiff bristle brush which smooths it out without leaving clumps of paint in these areas.
Just one quick coat of Antiquing Wax – which I always apply with a brush in small areas and then buff off after 5 minutes.
I’m really pleased with the transformation the doors have turned out exactly how I had imagined them – I can use them single or double depending where I want to hang them – in fact there are quite a few places I can put them, so I will have some fun playing around with them.
I will definitely be on the look out for some more doors I really love them as a wall decoration.
CJ

18 thoughts on “Creating Chippy Vintage Doors

1. julie

Nothing better than a vision realized! those are truly gorgeous. Can’t wait to see where and how you hang them.

2. lori miller

Great job on the doors. I was just listed as the newest retailer for your mms paint line. I am so excited to place my first order and get my big display going at my Barn.
    Lori
    RBPCo
    Round Barn Potting Company

3. Emily

I just purchased a bag or artissimo and I’m excited to get started. I plan on painting two antique small dressers and do want them to look chippy and old. They are currently stained with a coat of poly. Should I sand them and paint without the bonding agent…I also thought about putting linen on top and have artissimo peak through if it looks too blue. Per this post I’m unsure if/when I should use the bonding. Thanks for your reply in advance…I’m a HUGE fan. 🙂 xo

4. Heather

Those are beautiful – what a lovely way to age something and have it fit so beautifully into your home! I love the ‘trophy’ peaking through the ‘ironstone’ – just lovely!

5. Katin

Great work, they look amazing! I found some doors the other day & I’ve been looking at them & wondering what I could do with them, now I have some inspiration! Thanks xx

6. Michele

Those doors look gorgeous! You have inspired me to start looking for some sort of architectural salvage to transform for my own home. I have just the spot….

7. Ann

Marian – I followed your link, and the antique fair is in England. Did I miss hearing about a big trip abroad?

8. Jelena

Those doors look gorgeous!
    Thanks for the tip about applying a coat of darker milk paint as a “primer” when painting dar furniture a light milk paint color. I’ll have to try it when I do my big bookshelf next.

9. computers

What’s up all, here every person is sharing these kinds
    of know-how, so it’s fastidious to read this web site,
    and I used to go to see this website all the time.