Our retailer spotlight this week is Karri, owner of From Shabby to Fabby.
FROM SHABBY TO FABBY
27W460 Chicago Avenue
Winfield, Illinois 60190
Mon, Tues, Thurs, Fri 10-7
Wed & Sat 10-5
1. Tell us a little bit about you…
My name is Karri and I live in a suburb of Chicago with my French Bulldog Harper, my Pug Lucy, my Chihuahua/Dachshund mix Daisy and my cat Zander. I opened my own brick and mortar store in November of 2016 in my hometown after renting booth spaces for the past couple of years, and I couldn’t be more excited! The store specializes in farmhouse and french country decor and has a wonderful space where I can give paint classes rather than in my home as I had been doing. It really gives a different feel to the classes being surrounded by all the product as well as pieces I’ve painted. It sets the mood so much better and I find that it helps with the creativity of the class.
2. Why did you start your business? I started my business because I love to create. I grew up stripping and repainting or staining furniture really out of necessity. I lived with my Mom and my sister in a single parent home and we just didn’t have the money to go out and by new things so we would refinish what we had to make it look and feel new. At the time I didn’t have an appreciation for that because I wanted new things, but as I grew up and realized how beautiful old furniture was, how much character it had and how it could be transformed, I really grew to love it. When I found people doing it and posting and blogging about it online I knew I could do the same beacuse I had years of training! I started out using chalk paint, like so many do, but kept trying other paint lines looking for something that would really knock my socks off. When I found Miss Mustard Seed Milk Paint, I finally had that moment. I fell in love with it immediately…the color pallet, the smooth beautiful finish and the ability to get that fantastic chippy look! I applied to be a retailer and haven’t looked back.
3. Where do you find inspiration? Everywhere! Instagram, magazines, blogs, Facebook pages, shopping…I even watch TV differently now. I may not be able to tell you what someone is wearing but I can tell you what their house and furniture looks like 🙂
4. What is your favorite thing to collect? Unique Ironstone pieces, of course! I also love rabbits and small paintings although I stop myself from buying them because I don’t want to over clutter. Since getting into this business and seeing what is a bit more rare, I gravitate towards really unique pieces that you just don’t see everyday to decorate my home. I also seem to keep adding chandeliers so I may collect those and not know it.
5. What is your favorite MMSMP color and why? I have to give two here because I love them both the same. Schloss and Arabesque. I find myself going for the Schloss so often when painting dressers and they sell right away. It’s such a beautiful neutral that is not too dark or too light. It’s the perfect greige and shows so great in my store. Arabesque is such a beautiful pink. It’s not for everything but when it works on the piece, it’s PERFECT. There’s nothing else like it. My living room in my home is very neutral with hints of pink so this color really speaks to me and looks so beautiful with gold gilding wax. It’s so feminine and really works well with whites, grey’s, tan’s and greige’s and adds a pop of color without being overbearing.